Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Designer Showcase: Doilies and Lace

Welcome back for another Designer Showcase. It's Cathy here and I get to show off the wonderful creations using Doilies and Lace that our Contributing Artists have provided.


Marlene shares this page titled "Pina" with us.  The page is about a visit to a pineapple plantation. Marlene made the crocheted pineapple doily !!  Isn't that cool??  I love the colors and patterns that she chose for this page, especially the lattice that she created behind the photos. It reminds me of the look of a pineapple!


Cindy shares 2 pages with us today. While she says that she rarely uses lace or doilies, I think she has some samples of great ideas for using them! This first one is using lace in a very simple way. I love the way it brings your eye to the journaling.  It adds a touch of vintage and charm too. It also looks great with the framing on the one tag!


On this page, Cindy has used a doily in a really neat way. She has placed it as a mat under the title of her page. It helps to highlight the letters rather than placing them directly against the patterned background. It's also a great visual addition of shape in her otherwise blocked design.


This is a card that I made for my niece's bridal shower.  I wanted the card to be light and delicate.  I thought the doily added a bit of elegance and made a good base for building upon.

As I was preparing for this post, I was thinking that much like Cindy, I rarely use lace or doilies either.  I remembered the above card but couldn't really think of other projects where I've used wither. I was surprised to find several examples to share.


On this hybrid card using digital papers and elements, I created a paper doily to accent the printed rose.  It was given some extra sparkle by coating it with glitter.


On this page, I created a border to frame the bottom of the photo from lace. I used 2 pieces of lace. Between them I used some embroidery floss to string beads to add color and character.


Not all doilies have to be "real" this is a digital page that I created. It uses a pink crocheted digital element to build a cluster and offset the photo.


Gael sent this lovely page to share.  Lots of frill and flowers. The lace that she used fits right in!  She created some pattern to her background by running some lace vertically and horizontally. She also added a lot of charm with the strip of scalloped lace at the bottom.  It's all so gorgeous!  Would you believe that Gael's background started out as plain white cardstock?  She added subtle detail to it by applying gesso over a script mask, she highlighted it with pan pastels in soft shades.


Is this page just too cute? Lesley created this beauty.  She is really showing off some ides for using doilies on your projects.  Here she has used one for the journaling, made extra sweet by having it peak out from behind the photo. The other two she colored with shades of pan pastels. 

Some other great ideas for doilies that you pre-purchase or die cut yourself is to use them as masks with inks, spray, pastels. You can use the doilies as mats or to create flowers for your projects too.

I really like that our samples for you today are full of variety. Some are frilly and girly as you might expect, but not all.  You can use lace and doilies on all sorts of themed pages and projects.  


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful projects I love the "doily butterfly & on the town" cards! The "enjoy the view" layout is so elegant!

    ReplyDelete